Sunday, June 7, 2009

Reflection Statement, accompanied by "Say' by: John Mayer

Reflection Statement, accompanied by "Say" by: John Mayer

                  Since the very first day of Academy I always felt like the minority.  Having conservative political views, during the post-Bush Administration America, and a historical election didn’t help one bit.  During every discussion I felt outnumbered; I had to defend myself every time.  Sometimes, it took a lot of courage, but I always found the courage to speak my mind.

                  One time instance that remains vivid in my memory was a political discussion we had in Social Studies.  We were discussing Obama’s new stimulus package and the removal of the Bush tax cuts.  I disagreed with almost the entire class; I believed the stimulus package to be useless, and that we should not be creating new spending when we were in extreme debt.  I also claimed that it should not be the responsibility of the top percent of America to support the government, when they use the fewest of its services and another eighty percent didn’t even pay taxes.  I suggested that everyone pay a small income tax because no one should be given a free ride.  I was immediately labeled as a “stuck up north shore white kid”.  Someone asked me a sarcastic question about what I would do with my extra $100o a month given to me by tax cuts.  Then several students answered for me making hurtful comments about how I would by another five pairs of shoes.  Or saying things like you poor thing, you will have to go on vacation in Florida and not Europe.  I was so offended by these comments that I wrote a blog post, asking people to refrain from personal attacks next discussion.

                  I learned that day what it feels like to be judged.  My family wasn’t always financially comfortable.  My dad grew up in a middle class town and was given no lucky breaks.  He earned every cent of his tuition to Stanford, and I respect him for that.  No of these kids knew his story, because if they had, they wouldn’t have been so quick to judge.

                  Instead of being intimidated, I became comfortable with my spot in the minority.  Every time I raise my hand, I know at least one person in the room will strongly disagree, but I don’t care.  I know that I have a solid place in Academy (as the sole conservative) to challenge other people, and to force them to make sure that their arguments are well supported.  I use my outspoken nature to the best of its abilities and just put my thoughts out there.

 

No comments:

 
E-mail Me!